Palestinian Conglomerate Sabih al-Masri Arrested in Saudi Arabia





Riyadh
 A Palestinian billionaire, Sabih al-Masri, was detained in Saudi Arabia. The billionaire who served as Director of Arab Bank, Jordan's largest lender, was arrested for questioning after his business visit to Riyadh.

As reported by Reuters Saturday (16/12/2017), Masri who also holds Saudi citizenship was arrested after visiting Riyadh last week, to chair a meeting of its companies. He is also known as an important businessman in Jordan with many shares in hotels and banking in the country.

On Tuesday (12/12) local time, Masri canceled dinner with renowned colleagues and entrepreneurs.

Until now, Masri can not be reached for comment. The Saudi authorities also have not commented on the report. The news of this arrest came from Masri's family and friends.

A number of his believers call Masri been warned not to travel to Arabia, after last month the Saudi authorities made mass arrests of princes, ministers and businessmen in a massive anti-corruption operation .

"He (Masri-red) has answered a number of questions about his business and its partners," said a source familiar with Masri's detention.

Masri originally from a merchant family in Nablus, the West Bank collects his wealth from partnering with the Saudis in a massive catering business to supply a US-led military operation to retake Kuwait from Iraq in 1991.

Local media Saudi Arabia reported that Masri has been detained since Thursday (14/12) local time. This news shocked the Jordanian public, who became Masri invested billions of dollars.

Masri was elected Director of Arab Bank since 2012, after Abdel Hamid Shoman from the founding family of the bank resigned. Masri is also a prominent investor in the Palestinian territory with a large number of shares in Paltel, the publicly traded company that is also the largest private company in the West Bank.

The Masri family comes from amongst the wealthy Palestinian families, many of whom own shares in real estate, hotels, and telecommunications companies that stand under a special agreement with Israel in 1993. Masri is a cousin of billionaire Munib al-Masri who is the richest man in Palestine.

(nvc / tor)

North Korea's ambassador calls the United States fear of nuclear power




New York
North Korea accuses the United States of being afraid of its country's ability to supplement its nuclear power. North Korea says its country is not a threat to other countries provided its interests are not harassed.

As reported AFP and Newsweek Saturday (16/12/2017), the statement was submitted by North Korean Ambassador to United Nations, Ja Song-Nam, during a UN Security Council meeting on Friday (15/12) local time.

This UN-led UN-led Security Council meeting focused on North Korea's issues, one of which also announced new sanctions against a number of Chinese entities. The presence of North Korean Ambassador to the UN is quite rare in this kind of forum.

"(This UNSC meeting) A desperate move designed by the United States that is frightened by the overwhelming power of our republic which has successfully achieved historicity in complementing the power of the nuclear state," said Ja in the international forum.

Ja also states North Korea will not be a threat to other countries, as long as other countries do not interfere with North Korean interests.

Furthermore, Ja emphasizes North Korea's nuclear weapons are a necessity for self-defense. Ja also asserted that North Korea is a 'responsible pacifist nation and nuclear power'.

"Our possession of nuclear weapons is an individual's personal defense tool in defense of our sovereignty and the right to resistance and development, from US nuclear threats and if any which is to blame, the US should be responsible, "said Ja.

"There are several nuclear power states in the world today, but no country like the US is openly threatening and extorting other countries with nuclear weapons," he added as quoted by South Morning China Post .

Ja made his remarks after a speech by US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson calling on North Korea to halt a series of missile tests to pave the way for negotiations with the United States. But in his statement, Ja did not respond at all to the US Secretary's call.

(nvc / tor)

North Korea's Intercontinental Missile is Not a Serious Threat US





Washington DC
 US Defense Secretary James Mattis said the analysis of North Korea's latest missile test (North Korea) continues. But Mattis does not believe that North Korea's intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) could threaten the US territory.

"(North Korea's missile) Not yet seen as a serious threat to us now … we're still doing forensic analysis," Mattis told reporters. at the Pentagon, as reported by Reuters [1945912]North Korea fired its ballistic missile back on November 29th. In a statement, North Korea claims it has successfully tested a new intercontinental intercontinental missile, Hwasong-15. North Korea also claims the new type of missile is capable of reaching US territory no matter where it is located.

A number of South Korea-based observers (South Korea) and the United States have declared data recorded from the Nov. 29 trial to support North Korea's claim. Mattis did not explain what was lacking so he called the North Korean missile a serious threat.

A few moments ago, precisely after the North Korean missile test was held, Mattis admitted that the North Korean missiles managed to slide higher than the previous launch. Mattis also said North Korea's continuously developed missile could essentially threaten any part of the world.

A number of experts are split on North Korean missile capabilities to reach US territory. Some US-based experts say the data and photographs have confirmed that North Korea's missiles have enough ability to carry nuclear warheads to any location in the US

But other experts, as well as US officials, are still questioning ability ' re-entry ' North Korea missiles. Re-entry refers to the ability of a long-range missile or rocket that has slid into space, to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere intact.

High speeds trigger friction with Earth's atmosphere which will ignite a fire. Under these conditions, nuclear warheads carried by missiles or rockets could potentially explode before reaching real targets. North Korea's missile accuracy is still a question of experts.

In a separate statement, South Korea's defense ministry acknowledged that the latest tests put the United States within range of North Korea's missiles. However, South Korea believes the North still needs to master the capabilities of ' re-entry ' perfectly, as well as the activation of warheads.

Some US-based experts believe the North is only 'two or three trials' again to perfect operational missiles.

(nvc / tor)

Police Investigate the Mysterious Death of Canadian Billionaire and His Wife





Toronto
 Canadian police are investigating the mysterious death of billionaire Barry Sherman and his wife, Honey. The bodies of one of Canada's richest couples are found inside their luxury mansion in Toronto.

Sherman (75) is the founder of the renowned Canadian pharmaceutical company, Apotex Inc. Forbes magazine noted Sherman's wealth reached US $ 3.2 billion (Rp 42.8 trillion). Sherman founded the company in 1974 and Apotex developed by introducing a large number of generic drugs that were cheaper than branded drugs.

He retired from his post as CEO in 2012, but remains Executive Director. Apotex is listed as the world's number 7 generic drug company with 11,000 employees and sales annually reach over CAN $ 2 billion (Rp 20 trillion) in more than 45 countries. As reported by Reuters and CNN Saturday (16/12/2017), the Canadian Police said the deaths of the couple are suspicious, but not murder. The body of Sherman and his wife were found inside their home in a residential compound of people in northeastern Toronto on Friday (15/12) afternoon local time.

 Police stand guard in front of Barry Sherman's house Police guard in front of Barry Sherman's house Photo: REUTERS / Chris Helgren

Sherman's family house was recently registered for sale for nearly $ 7 million (Rp 73 billion). Reported by local media, Toronto Globe and Mail that a real estate agent became the first person to find the body of the couple in the basement of the house.

The real estate agent reportedly came to visit the house to prepare for the event open house . The findings were immediately reported to the local police. On Friday (15/12) evening local time, two bodies covered with blankets were seen taken out of the house and put in a van.

"The situation surrounding their deaths looks suspicious and we consider it so," police officials said local, David Hopkinson.

Hopkinson stated that the investigation of the case is still in its very early stages and the case is not handled as a murder case. The police detective of the criminal murder section said there was no sign of anyone trying to forcibly enter the house.

 A corpse was taken out of Barry Sherman's house A corpse was taken out of Barry Sherman's house Photo: REUTERS / Chris Helgren

Hopkinson also said police, firefighters and ambulances were both reported on medical problems 'just before the bodies were found on Friday (15/12) afternoon local time. "It's just a suspicious death, we're just investigating it now, if it has been determined it is a murder, then the investigators of the homicide unit will join it," Hopkinson said.

The couple is also known as a generous donor to the hospital , universities and Jewish organizations. Neighbors, business associates to influential politicians in Canada extend their condolences to their deaths.

"Our condolences to their family and colleagues, and to everyone who is touched by their vision and passion," said Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau via Twitter .

(nvc / tor)

US Recognition of Jerusalem Like Throwing Bombs into the Middle East





Ankara
 Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan again criticized US President Donald Trump over his decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Erdogan called Trump's decision like a bomb thrown into the Middle East.

In a recent statement delivered during the opening of a new subway line in Istanbul, as reported by AFP Saturday (16/12/2017), Erdogan insists Muslims will never accept the recognition of Jerusalem as the capital Israel.

"(US decision like) New bombs thrown into the Middle East's lap," Erdogan said in his latest statement.

Erdogan again reiterated his accusation that Israel is a 'terror state' because of its treatment of the Palestinians. "Trying to make Jerusalem a capital of a terrorist state is not a situation acceptable to Muslims," ​​he added.

Furthermore, Erdogan encourages world Muslims to take more decisive steps or face consequences.

"The decision of Jerusalem marks a new operation targeting the Muslim world, and if Muslims fail to show reactions in the legal framework necessary to deal with this issue, believe in me that there will be more to come," he said.

In a previous statement, Erdogan said Turkey was working on a number of steps at the United Nations to annul the US decision on Jerusalem. This step is not easy because the US who is a permanent member of the UN Security Council has a veto, which means any step against them will be blocked.

"We will seek an injunction for this unfair decision, first in the UN Security Council and if veto appear there, then to the General Assembly, "Erdogan said to the Turkish crowd at Konya. "There is no country in the world that is above international law," he added.

On Wednesday (13/12) local time, Erdogan chaired the Organization of Islamic Cooperation Summit (OIC Summit) which in its final statement declared East Jerusalem – now occupied by Israel – as the capital of a Palestinian state.

The OIC also called on the world's nations to recognize East Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine. But in the meeting, OIC states did not agree on a concrete or specific sanction for the United States or Israel.

(nvc / tor)