Chemical attack in Syria: Trump announces impending decisions

By

  

  
  
    
       Challenges.fr

on 09.04.2018 at 18h10

The US President promised Monday to make decisions in the "24/48 hours" after the alleged chemical attack in the Syrian city of Duma, denouncing a "heinous act against innocents."

 Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump, April 3, 2018 at the White House in Washington DC

AFP – Olivier Douliery

< meta itemprop = "caption" content = "

US President Donald Trump, April 3, 2018 at the White House, Washington.

“/>

Philippine Militants Failed to Attack Other Cities After Marawi

ISIS-linked militants are planning but failing to attack another town in the southern Philippines shortly after Philippine soldiers cracked down on their occupation in Marawi last year, the country's largest Muslim rebel group said on Tuesday.

Al Haj Murad Ebrahim of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front said plans to attack the town of Iligan or Cotabato failed after the Marawi occupation ended, but the extremists have continued to recruit new troops to recover from the defeat of their battles.

Murad said his group continued intelligence information on the planned attack on the two cities, which are the bustling commercial centers, to government troops through a ceasefire channel opened during the peace talks. He published the information in a forum with foreign journalists and emphasized how his group helped combat terrorism.

Read also: Battle in Marawi, Philippines Deliver Thousands of People

President Rodrigo Duterte and military officials have also said that the remnants of radical groups that occupied and destroyed Marawi for five months were searching for new troops and plotting new attacks.

Duterte called the threat in his speech Monday night (19/2) in which he criticized Canada for wearing restrictions on the use of helicopter gunships to be bought by the Philippines. He has ordered the military to cancel the purchase. [gp]

Wounded by Explosion, Israel Launches Jet Attack on Gaza Strip





Gaza City
 Israeli jets attacked the Gaza Strip on Saturday (17/2) local time. The attack was launched after four Israeli soldiers were wounded by an explosion from a simple tool on the border of the Palestinian settlement.

The explosion that wounded the Israeli soldier was one serious incident since 2014 on the border of the settlement which is controlled by Hamas.

Israeli soldiers say "fighter jets target six military targets in Gaza owned by Hamas, including: a terror tunnel in the Zaytun area and military complex near Deir el-Balah and Khan Yunis". They later said there was an identifiable "launch" coming from the Gaza Strip in Israeli territory.

At a security conference in Munich, Germany, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated the incident on the Gaza border was a "very serious incident "and promised to" respond appropriately ".

A Palestinian security source said Israeli attacks struck three Hamas bases in the east of the blockaded Gaza Strip. The medical officer said two Palestinians were wounded.

"Two soldiers were seriously wounded, one was slightly injured, and one was slightly wounded," the Israeli military said of the outcome of an explosion near the Gaza border. But they said none of the Israeli soldiers were threatened with their lives.

Israel then quickly opened fire from tanks at an observation post in southern Gaza. He said no one was hurt by this tank shot. Palestinian security officials said there was an explosion in the east of the city of Khan Yunis.

Israeli army spokesman Jonathan Conricus said the "rogue group" claimed responsibility for the explosive that triggered the conflict. He suspects that this is an indication of the existence of radical Islamist groups in Gaza.

"From our point of view, Hamas is responsible" said Conricus. He said explosives had been planted when a protest was held by Hamas on Friday (16/2).

Hamas' military wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigade, said in a statement saying it had fired on the passing Israeli jets. But Jonathan Conricus denied the claims of the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigade.
 
(dnu / rjo)


<! –
 

->
 

White House Accuses Russia of Cyber ​​Attack 'Not Petya'

The White House on Thursday accused Russia of a cyber-attack "NotPetya" which caused massive losses last year, joined the British government in denouncing Moscow over the spreading virus that paralyzed some of the Ukrainian infrastructure and paralyzed the computers in various countries around the world.

The attack that occurred in June 2017 "spread worldwide, causing billions of dollars worth of losses across Europe, Asia and the Americas," White House spokesman Sarah Sanders said in a statement.

"It is part of the Kremlin's efforts to constantly destabilize Ukraine and show more clearly Russia's involvement in the ongoing conflict," added Sanders. "This is also a reckless and indiscriminate cyber attack that will result in consequences that will be applied internationally."

The US government is "reviewing a range of options," said a senior White House official when asked about the consequences of Russian action.

Earlier on Thursday, Russia rejected the British government's allegations that it was behind the attack, saying the allegations were part of a "Rusophobia" campaign that he said was launched by several Western countries.

The so-called NotPetya attack in June started in Ukraine where the attack paralyzed government and business computers before spreading across Europe and the world, halting operations at ports, factories and offices.

The British foreign ministry said in a statement released earlier that day that the attack came from the Rusi military

"The decision to publicly link this incident underscores the fact that Britain and its allies will not tolerate a destructive cyber attack," the ministry said in a statement.

"The attack was disguised as a criminal but aims the main is to paralyze, "he said.

" The main targets are the financial sector, energy, and the Ukrainian government. Indiscriminate design has led to wider spread, affecting businesses in Europe and Russia. "[ww]

US Does not Plan a Limited Military Attack Against North Korea

A top US State Department official on Thursday (16/2) raised doubts about the idea that the United States will hold a limited military offensive to North Korea, an idea known as the "bloody nose strategy. "

A staggering North Korean charm at the Olympics seems to be held to boost the country's image among many people. While the United States indicates openness to dialogue, Washington also continues its maximum pressure on Pyongyang.

Susan Thornton, assistant assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, said, "We imagine the pressure will continue to rise. Pressure will not slacken. We open up the opportunity for dialogue, as you say, and we want that dialogue on one issue, denuclearization, our comprehensive goal in this policy. "

Thornton said, as far as he knew, there was no" bloody nose "strategy or limited military attack plan on the Korean Peninsula. It indicates that diplomacy is the number one priority.

Read also: North Korea, 'The Most Confrontational Threat' to the US and Allies

The United States Department of State says, on North Korea to stop nuclear aggression or engage in talks. US State Department spokesman Heather Nauert said, "We left the door open. We want a dialogue on one issue, denuclearization. Our policy has not changed. Our policies remain the same. The whole objective is denuclearization. "

While Washington does not support regime change, some analysts say the United States needs to dialogue with China to find out the location of North Korean nuclear weapons in preparation for any scenario.

Bonnie Glaser of the Center for Strategic Studies and International ( CSIS ) revealed, "One of the reasons we want to dialogue with China on this issue is whether there is a North Korean nuclear test facility located not far from the Chinese border, or within 100 kilometers . The United States believes China does not want US troops to move towards China's borders should the crisis happen. "

A week ago, a Chinese diplomat reassured US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson that Beijing is committed to pressuring North Korea over its nuclear weapons program. [ab/lt]