Havana Protests US Efforts to Increase Internet Access in Cuba

Cuba has officially protested the creation of a US taskforce to improve internet access on the island, arguing it "violates Cuba's sovereignty." The communist-controlled island is one of the most not connected in the world.

The US State Department said that the task force will hold its first meeting on February 7 to encourage "free flow of information in Cuba." The team will study "the challenges and technological opportunities to expand internet access and media independently in Cuba, "the US State Department said.

In a diplomatic memo to the top US diplomat in Havana, Lawrence Gumbiner, Cuba on Wednesday (31/1) filed a" violent protest "against America's desire to publicly violate Cuba's related sovereignty national legislation governing the flow of information. "

The memo declared the attempt to manipulate the internet for political and subversive purposes it is intended to "alter or disrupt the constitutional order" in Cuba. Cuba demanded that America "halt subversive, intervention, and illegal action against Cuba." According to Cuban government data, 40 percent of the island's 11 million inhabitants can use the internet in 2017.

However, in spite of recent government efforts to increase wifi availability, most Cubans have no internet because of costly access, (19659003) US-Cuban relations began to warm under President Barack Obama, when both countries placed ambassadors in 2015 for the first time since 1961. But President Donald Trump has taken up a tougher approach to Cuba since taking office. In his state address on Tuesday, Trump highlighted how his administration had "imposed tough sanctions on communist and socialist dictatorships in Cuba and Venezuela." [as/ii]

US will investigate further about Diplomat's 'Health Attack' in Cuba

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will set up a review board of accountability to investigate health attacks against 24 diplomatic officials in Cuba, the State Department said Tuesday.

In a Senate hearing on the attack, Republican senators and The Democrats criticized State Department officials for being "sluggish" and not responding to what Tillerson called a "planned attack."

American investigators believe that American diplomats and other Americans in Havana may have been attacked with sonic weapons earlier this year that made them suffer from hearing, dizziness, headaches and fatigue.

Cuba denies involvement in the attack

After the incident, the United States withdrew a number of non-essential diplomats and their families from Cuba and expelled 15 Cuban diplomats from embassy m ereka in Washington, D.C. [lt]

There is no evidence of 'Ultrasonic Attack' in Cuba

Republican Senator Jeff Flake said the Americans found no evidence that American diplomats in Havana were victims of unidentified weapon attacks.

Flake, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a leading advocate of the US and Cuban relations restoration, Friday (5/1) ), met with high-ranking Cuban officials including Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez and Interior Ministry officials, who oversaw domestic security and worked with foreign law enforcement agencies.

Cuban officials told Flake that the FBI had told them that , after four trips to Cuba, his agents found no evidence of the mysterious illness that American diplomats suffered was the result of an attack.

To the Associated Press news agency on Saturday morning Flake said confidential information of American officials left him with no reason to doubt what Cuba said, although he refused to reveal the contents of the information the si.

Cuban and FBI officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Saturday.

The United States says its 24 government officials and their partners have fallen ill in Havana at home and some of the hotels they occupy by 2016. [ka]