Malaysia arrests 10 suspected Islamic militants

Malaysian police have arrested 10 suspects trying to build a stronghold on the island of Borneo

The suspects were arrested in a series of raids in January and early February, according to a statement issued by national police chief Mohamad Fuzi Harun.

Within the group of suspects is a 27-year-old Filipino man believed to be a senior Abu Sayyaf leader, a known terrorist group that often kidnaps and decapitates foreign tourists.

Also read: ISIS Militant Main Leader It is believed to have been killed in the southern Philippines

Fuzi said the suspects were accused of helping ISIS militants travel from the state of Sabah, located in Borneo, to the southern Philippines, where Muslim rebels since the 1970s fighting against government troops in an effort to establish self-government. [ab/lt]

Philippine Militants Failed to Attack Other Cities After Marawi

ISIS-linked militants are planning but failing to attack another town in the southern Philippines shortly after Philippine soldiers cracked down on their occupation in Marawi last year, the country's largest Muslim rebel group said on Tuesday.

Al Haj Murad Ebrahim of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front said plans to attack the town of Iligan or Cotabato failed after the Marawi occupation ended, but the extremists have continued to recruit new troops to recover from the defeat of their battles.

Murad said his group continued intelligence information on the planned attack on the two cities, which are the bustling commercial centers, to government troops through a ceasefire channel opened during the peace talks. He published the information in a forum with foreign journalists and emphasized how his group helped combat terrorism.

Read also: Battle in Marawi, Philippines Deliver Thousands of People

President Rodrigo Duterte and military officials have also said that the remnants of radical groups that occupied and destroyed Marawi for five months were searching for new troops and plotting new attacks.

Duterte called the threat in his speech Monday night (19/2) in which he criticized Canada for wearing restrictions on the use of helicopter gunships to be bought by the Philippines. He has ordered the military to cancel the purchase. [gp]

The bodies of 9 Civilians Kidnapped by Militants in Afghanistan Discovered

An Afghan official said that the bodies of nine civilians kidnapped by militants early last year have been found in Nangarhar province, in eastern Afghanistan.

A regional head said the body, including the bodies of three tribal elders, was found dumped into in a weekend cemetery.

Sayed Rahman Mohmand from Kot county said locals found the corpse in the nearby Achin area.

ISIS and Taliban clashes Could Hundreds of Families in Afghanistan Fly

The nine victims were kidnapped by militants early in 2017 in Kot and nothing is known about their fate so far.

Mohmand says the ISIS group is behind the kidnappings and murders, although the militant group has not claimed responsibility for their killing. Both the Taliban and ISIS are active in eastern Afghanistan. [gp]

Militants Attack Paramilitary Army in southwest Pakistan, 4 Killed

Militants on motorbikes opened fire on a vehicle carrying paramilitary troops in southwest Pakistan on Wednesday (14/2). Police said four soldiers were killed and the attackers managed to escape.

Hours later, the Taliban-linked Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Al-Almi militant group claimed responsibility for the attack on the Quetta settlement of Saryab.

The attack came as the vehicle crossed a busy market, said Abdur Razzaq Cheema, Quetta police chief. The spokesman of the Sunni militant group, Ali Bin Sufyan, said Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Al-Almi will continue to target security forces.

Quetta is the capital of Baluchistan province, which has been the site of a low-level insurgency of Baluch separatist groups demanding a greater share of resources in the province. Islamic militant groups also operate there and often target security forces.

Pakistani authorities admit to having managed to defuse the insurgency, and break the main militant network, but violence continues. [ab/uh]

400 ISIS Militants Released in Syria For War Against Turkey

The spokesman of the Turkish ruling Justice and Development (AK) party confirmed that 400 jailed ISIS militants had been released in northern Syria to fight Turkish troops.

"It has been confirmed that 400 prisoners of Daesh (another name ISIS) in Raqqa, Afrin and Deir ez-Zour, was released on condition that they will fight against Turkey, "AK spokesman Mahir Unal was quoted as saying by the Turkish news agency Anadolu Agency, This was conveyed amid the ongoing military operation of Turkey in Afrin, Syria to fight the Kurdish militia PYD / PKK regarded by the Ankara government as a terrorist organization.

"We have revealed how the relationship of PYD / PKK to Daesh in Raqqa uncovered … It has been confirmed that especially in Raqqa, Afrin and Deir ez-Zour, 400 Daesh militants are released from prison by PYD / PKK on battle against Turkey, "the spokesman said. 659002] The unal statement confirmed the statement of Russia's permanent representative to the UN, Vassily Nebenzia about the PYD / PKK group in northern Syria releasing 400 ISIS members in early January. It was delivered Nebenzia in a UN Security Council meeting.

According to sources to Anadolu Agency, the PYD / PKK group reached an agreement with ISIS to mobilize ISIS members to wage war against Turkish troops who were carrying out military operations in Afrin. The operation, named 'Operation Olive Branch' began on 20 January with the aim of expelling Kurdish militants, PYD / PKK and ISIS from Afrin.

The Turkish military says the operation aims to create security and stability along Turkey's borders, and to protect Syrians from the militants' suppression and cruelty.

(19659008) <! – –