As reported by Reuters Thursday (8/2/2018), most Palestinians who want to cross the Rafah boundary intend to seek treatment. One of them is Awni An-Najar (74) who is sitting in a wheelchair, who hopes to undergo treatment for her broken hip in Egypt.
"Patients should be allowed to travel freely, I want to be able to walk again," said An-Najar who was accompanied by his wife and daughter.
Egyptian authorities usually open the Rafah border crossing for a while, several times a year. But sometimes the opening of border crossings was announced suddenly with minimal explanation.
For this time, Rafah border crossing was opened since Wednesday (7/2) local time without any announcement at all.
"Thanking President Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi for his concern for reducing the suffering of the Palestinian people," the statement of the Palestinian Embassy in Cairo referred to the opening of the Rafah border crossing.
There has been no response from the Egyptian Foreign Ministry on this matter.
The opening of the Rafah border crossing this week is the second in a decade, with Palestinian Authority security forces guarding the Gaza border. Previously only the military wing of Hamas usually guarding the Gaza-Egypt border.
The reconciliation agreement reached between Hamas and its rival Fatah in October led to the surrender of power over the Rafah crossing to the Palestinian Authority. This is the first since Hamas took control of Gaza in 2007. Egypt opened the Rafah crossing for a short time in December 2017.
Palestinians in Gaza hope it could spark a step forward for the opening of the Rafah crossing permanently. The permanent opening of Rafah will end the blockade imposed by Israel and Egypt for security reasons. So far, Egyptian authorities have said the permanent opening is dependent on security in its border region, given recent times of rampant local militant attacks.
(nvc / nkn)
Mako and Komuro got engaged in September 2017 and is already planning a wedding in November 2018. Suddenly, the couple changed their minds.
"It's because of our immaturity and we regret it," the couple said in a written statement.
The second marriage was postponed until at least 2020. This is certainly a surprise because Mako and Komuro's marriages have been eagerly awaited by Japanese before Emperor Akihito abdicated in April 2019.
Mako admitted that he and Komuro rush in running things. He felt the need for more time to plan for the future.
"I will think of marriage more deeply and give enough time to prepare for marriage as well as life after marriage," Mako said.
A source in the Japanese Empire told CNN that the marriage was postponed due to lack of preparation. Princess Mako has already passed this decision to her grandparents, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. They respect Mako Princess's decision.
"We're really sorry for causing big problems and burdening those who already support us," Mako said.
Mako and Komuro first acquainted in 2012 when they met at International Christian University in Tokyo. Although not from among the nobility, Komuro is known as the 'prince of the sea' for ever becoming a star of beach tourism promotion advertising in Japan.
Their engagement announced by the Japanese Empire in November last year was greeted with the enthusiasm of the residents. Mako himself must abandon his noble status when married to Komuro who is an ordinary man.
(imk / knv)